Monday, June 4, 2012

Needle Know How

In the book Knitting Without Tears, Elizabeth Zimmerman talks about all the different types of knitting needles. She even has some that are made out of walrus tusks. Wow! The needles that are my fanciest are my carved wooden ones I got at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville, NC. 
She mentioned that if the coating has come off aluminum needles and you use oily wool (boot wool) the needles may turn blackish. It come off the the wash, but I thought it was interesting to know.

While reading her book, you can tell that she has knitted for a lifetime.  The way that she casually adds deep infomation shows how relaxed and comfortable she is about knitting. For example, when discussing the stockinette stitch, she explains why it curls at the bottom.  Each stich is just a minute bit bigger on the front than back.  They are bigger horizontally than vertically and she suggested NOT using stockinette for borders.

I alway forget which is garter and which is stockinette. I try to picture a stocking (sock) in my head and remember that it has a right side and a wrong side.  Therefore, stockinette is knit one row, purl the next, knit then purl etc. This stitch is great for circular needles.

My favorite the garter is knit every row, not to hard to think about. However, it is harder on circular needles because you would have to knit one, then purl next row.  This stitch is great of afghans and baby blankets because the edges don't curl. :-)

Ribbing is great for socks because of its elasticity. She then adds that if you knit into the back of knit stitches and purl in the back of purls, the ribbing will be even more elastic.

Next "chapter" talks about the techniques used in knitting.

I love her attitude about knitting and I assume life.  If you don't want to do it, then don't.  Life is too short. You should enjoy knitting and not stress over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment